Keep Education recruits for a variety of job roles in Education. If you are wondering about your next step and where working with us could take you, think about your qualifications and potential job titles. If you are interested in any of these roles and we can help introduce you to a local school, please get in touch.

Qualified Teachers

A Qualified Teacher is someone who has Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) from studying a PGCE and completing an induction year. You may instead have studied a Bachelor of Education and an induction year leading to QTS, or done an on-the-job qualification such as a Diploma in Education and Training after working previously in education or training through the Graduate Teacher Programme.

Unqualified Teachers

An unqualified Teacher is someone who has either qualified abroad (foreign qualified teachers should consider having their qualifications verified by NARIC), or whose teaching experience has been in Academies or Independent schools. An unqualified teacher is unable to teach in council-managed schools, but does have other options. You may be experienced leading classes in Special Educational Needs schools. At their discretion, some schools will accept people with subject-relevant expertise who can demonstrate the necessary skills, even if they lack a specific teaching qualification.

Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)

Newly Qualified Teachers have completed a PGCE but have not yet completed their induction year. You are able to work as a supply teacher during this time and can even arrange to credit a long term supply role towards your induction year with the school’s approval.

Cover Supervisors and Instructors

A cover supervisor or instructor is someone employed in-house by a school or with an agency to cover a variety of different classes to cover teachers absent due to illness, school trips, or planning time. Cover supervisors must be flexible and have good presentation skills. You should be qualified to degree level or have previous experience in education, but may be asked to cover classes outside your specific area of expertise.

Teaching Assistants

The role of a Teaching Assistant is to provide support to a class teacher and help pupils to understand the lesson. Teaching Assistants can work in Primary or Secondary schools. No specific qualification is required, but vocational qualifications are available. SEN training or a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) qualification will increase the opportunities available to you. A HLTA is qualified to take sole lead for a class when the teacher is absent, and will likely work independently with small groups who need additional support.

Learning Support Assistant

A Learning Support Assistant will provide individual support to a pupil with Special Educational Needs or a disability, to help them participate fully in class activities. Experience as a Teaching Assistant or in SEN education is extremely desirable.